Protech  

Go Back   F-Chat.eu > Various > Car Photography

Old 19-05-2007, 23:50
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Default Some pictures..

If you have played a little with your stuff; please show us some, so we can enjoy it
Old 20-05-2007, 14:57
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

I played a little with my stuff this morning :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2107 by Pterps 281 aan ZW 1280.jpg (395.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 20-05-2007, 20:15
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterps View Post
I played a little with my stuff this morning
Woow! Very nice Peet
Old 22-05-2007, 23:28
F1 rookie
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
Where did you connect the placeholder for your camera?
Old 23-05-2007, 00:11
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
He is very COOL!!! Keep playing and posting
Old 05-07-2007, 16:35
Formula Junior

Fumacher:
I really like your pics... Clear, sharp and SO NICE!

Which camera do you use? And which lens
Old 05-07-2007, 20:22
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveFerrari.dk View Post
Fumacher:
I really like your pics... Clear, sharp and SO NICE!

Which camera do you use? And which lens?
Glad you like my pix

I use a Nikon D70S with the Nikkon 70-300 VR. I purchased that lens this year and am really satisfied with it. I can recommend this lens to every Nikon-photographer. Do you also have a Nikon camera?

Regards,

Fumache
Old 05-07-2007, 22:18
Formula Junior

I have a Canon EOS 400D...
I'm also very satisfied with my camera, and it does also snap some nice pics, as you can see!

But I need a new lens, a even better on, I need more zoom, to get all the lovely details!

The pics are from the danish "Ferrari Days" - a sad event
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1416.jpg (60.6 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1432.jpg (59.5 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1510.jpg (56.7 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1640.jpg (69.8 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1465.jpg (58.3 KB, 321 views)
Old 06-07-2007, 01:15
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
I'm also very satisfied with my camera, and it does also snap some nice pics, as you can see!

But I need a new lens, a even better on, I need more zoom, to get all the lovely details!

The pics are from the danish "Ferrari Days" - a sad event!
Those are some really fine photo's! I really like the action-shots. What shutterspeed do you use for such photography? Or does it varies a lot
Old 06-07-2007, 08:52
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Quote:

The pics are from the danish "Ferrari Days" - a sad event!
What lens do you use at the moment? I have a EOS 350D and I hope to purchase a new lens this year, I would like to buy a L-series lens, but they are so expensive

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 14:28..
Old 06-07-2007, 09:49
F1 rookie
Gold Subscribed

I'm interested in what lenzes you canon users have.

tips for the people who want affordable lenzes for canon ef with good quality.
I have an eos 400d, which i'm very satified with.

For wide angle i use a Tamron 28-75 F2,8 XR DI LD IF, which costs about 340 in nl. this lens is very sharp and can go wide open! stopped down it performs really wel. some call it a 'almost L lens'. It has a bit more Cromatic Abberation than really expensive L lenses but i'm satisfied with it.

For telezoom i have used a Sigma 70-300 APO F4.5-5,6. Really affordible lens which is reasonabally sharp in 200-300mm range.
downside is the rather slow af. This lens is often recommended at many dslr forums.

I posted alot of pictures from these lenses on this forum, for example from spa italia, viva italia assen topics.

2 weeks ago i switched to a Canon 70-200 F4 L IS USM lens to replace the sigma. Yes this lens is much sharper, more solid feel, L glass. And most important, fast focussing and image stabilizer. Pictures are on the Modena trackdays thread.

Do you guys often use polarizing filters? I like the effect myself
Old 06-07-2007, 10:20
Formula 3
Gold Subscribed

Since february I have a Canon EF 24-105 mm f/4L IS USM. I am quit satisfied with this lens. Plus: image-stabilizer; even with very low light it is possible to make sharp images, quick focussing is also a big plus. Minus: the lens has ALLWAYS F4 as lowest value, you really need to use > 80 mm to get the effect you want (unsharpness). On the other hand, if it is a really sunny day I get problems with overexposured images; I know PTerps had the same problem when trying my lens. A correction on the camera wouldn't help that much (could be my lack of knowledge).
It is a brilliant lens in musea or at fairs; just 400 ISO and take extremely sharp images with very good light-proportions (see pictures AutoRAI 2007).

I am still considering a Tokina AT-X 10-17 mm F3.5-4.5. I like the fish-eye effect with cars sometimes, and the 24 mm of the Canon is sometimes to less to get this nearly fish-eye effect. From the tests it seems to be a very good lens. Anyone experiences
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54
Formula Junior

I'm still using the kit-lens, EF-S 18-55...
The pics I uploadet was some of the first i snapet, with my eos 400D, and I bought it in May, so I've still a lot to learn about the camera, and how to use it optimal...

I don't know the shutterspeed, as you mabye know, eos 40D has a lot of functions, and I just triet them all, se wee which was the best for race-pics and closeups and so on
Old 06-07-2007, 21:16
Formula Junior

Here is one of my best shots!
I'm hanging out of the window from a F 328 GTS !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0432.jpg (45.7 KB, 310 views)

Old 06-07-2007, 21:35
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

I use the standard kitlens (18-55) and a simple 75-300 EF F4-5,6 III lens. Both lenses where pretty good for getting to know the camera but I really need an upgrade now. Biggest problem IMO is the speed of the Auto Focus and the fact that I don't have IS. I tried Roger lens and I borrowed the same lens from a friend of mine during our trip to Italy. In poor light conditions this lens is excellent! But just like Roger said, during sunny conditions the pics turn out over exposed

During my holiday I made these 2 pics with my lenses:

First picture with kitlens, second picture with 75-300 mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2407 by Pterps 224 aan.jpg (157.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2407 by Pterps 250 aan.jpg (130.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-07-2007, 23:59
F1 rookie
Gold Subscribed

How are your pictures overexposed? that 24-105 should be a great lens (it's in the 'hidden L' range). without problems. is it in verry sunny conditions only, and on what settings?
i know i get some exposure problems with very dark or very white objects. I use exposure compensation to overcome that.

I remember a problem i had with my 50mm 1.8 lens. in bright sun i still had my iso set at 400. The camera got so much light in that even at 1/4000 sec the picture was really overexposed. so maybe you have the same problem? too much light with F4? ( i am even thinking to get cokin ND greyfilter to limit some light, and so to use a shallow depth of field with large aperture) if you stop down in aperture/get lower iso rating, is the problem still there?

Roger on what camera are you planning to use that tokina? cropcam or fullframe? i am looking for wide angle. tokina are regarded as good lenses. I think i prefer the 12-24 instead of 10mm. 10-17 is extremely wide! It gets a bit too distorted for my taste.... But i've seen people who were completely in love with their 8mm peleng... so its very personal.

Peter, i like the first picture. it has a real 'topgear style' on it. i assume this had some photoshop effect on it? I know the vignetting on the kitlens isn't that radical

Old 07-07-2007, 09:04
Formula 3
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikderaaf View Post
How are your pictures overexposed? that 24-105 should be a great lens (it's in the 'hidden L' range). without problems. is it in verry sunny conditions only, and on what settings?
i know i get some exposure problems with very dark or very white objects. I use exposure compensation to overcome that.

... if you stop down in aperture/get lower iso rating, is the problem still there?

Roger on what camera are you planning to use that tokina? cropcam or fullframe? i am looking for wide angle. tokina are regarded as good lenses. I think i prefer the 12-24 instead of 10mm. 10-17 is extremely wide! It gets a bit too distorted for my taste.... But i've seen people who were completely in love with their 8mm peleng... so its very personal.
I do have this in very sunny conditions only; colors are flattened and the clouds get white in stead of blue. ISO is 100, so I compensate the exposure with -1 or -2, but even then e.g. the sky still stays white. I think a polar-filter could help.
My camera is a Canon 400D, so no fullframe. I saw a test of the Tokina, and it came out wunderfull. Just at 10mm it gets a bit distorted in the edges
Old 07-07-2007, 09:23
F1 rookie
Gold Subscribed

That with overexposed clouds happened to me. has to do with the dynamic range of the camera, big difference in very bright sky in contrast with darker ground.
Of the metering mode of the camera is in pattern mode it measures the whole frame and makes an average exposure for your picture. I think than it can happen that colors are flattened. You could try center weighted metering, expose just the object jou want, hit the exposure lock button, reframe and snap. the camera then holds exposure (you see that * in viewfinder) for the object, color maybe gets better, but sky will still be white.

Polarizers help, they absorb a litte light but also a lot of light distortion in the sky (thats why the blue turns out so good)
for landscape photography there are gradual grey filters, which are dark at the top and transparent at the botto
Old 08-07-2007, 22:32
Formula Junior

Today I was practicing, and tried some different shutterspeed, ISO levels and a lot!
Still a lot to learn, but this is one of my pics from today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mazda.JPG (76.7 KB, 288 views)
Old 09-07-2007, 10:54
F1 rookie
Gold Subscribed

I see the following settings in your picture:
Exposure time 1/25"
Aperture value F29
Iso 800
Program Tv

May i give some advise?
Your shutter is very very low, and that could be a reason why the car isnt that sharp, due to camera movement (a little shake could create this movement)
Maybe try another speed, i usually start about 1/160 and check if there is some rotating wheel effect which gives the impression of speed. I the image is sharp then i try some slower shutter speed. With lenzes without image stabilizer my images were sharp until i took shutter speeds lower then 1/80

And try to set the ISO lower, the lower the iso is, the better the image quality (less noise).
Your camera gets so much light in it sets its aperture to F29. Thats almost closed, and many lenses do not perform very wel under about F16 (certainly the kitlens)
When you take lower iso (about 200 or even 100 when enough light) the aperture can stay more open which gives better results, and less noise will be shown in the picture.

Also, maybe take the picture from the other side, the sun is in the back of the car. results will probable be nicer if you have the sun in your back so the car is nicer lit.

I'm just giving some tips to try and help you get nicer action pictures, don't feel critizised, i like you other pictures on this forum!