Club Ferrari Belgio  

Go Back   F-Chat.eu > Various > Car Photography

Old 03-03-2007, 00:39
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Default What kind of equipment do you use?

What kind of equipment do you use?

What brand, model, lenses etc do you use? Do you have tips for how to photograph a car. Give an example. Show us your best picture. Or show one, from which you thought later; i should have done this of that.

If you think you could have done better, don't hesitate to ask for advice in this thread
Old 03-03-2007, 00:52
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

I started with car photography in 2004 because I had the oppertunity to assist during the Quotechallenge (The dutch Gumball). I started with a Canon Powershot A85, after 1,5 years it had to be replaced, I used it a lot.

The powershot was a point-and-shoot camera, what I wanted now was a Digital SLR. I bought another Canon, the EOS 350D. I dont like the standard kitlens, but I also bought a Canon EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5,6 III. I really like this lens, although after 9 months I start to see why I should buy a L-series lens. So I started saving up, I hope to get a L-series lens later this year.

One of my first pics with the EOS, I took this one during the GP of Monaco. I didn't want to try to take pics with a longer shutterspeed, I was affraid to mess up all of my pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg week 22 2006 by pterps 126 aan 1280.jpg (679.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-03-2007, 09:14
Formula 3
Gold Subscribed

I started with photography in 1975 as I got my first camera from my parents. It was some kind of Kodak I think with their films in a cassette. I also became a member of a photography-club in those days; developing films in the laboratory and making prints. As my Kodak was not so wel equiped I became my fathers camera, a Petri. After years of washing cars and gardening I bought a Nikon F401 for DM 700,-. I used it until 1994 or so, and then the hobby disappeared until digital camera's where getting common. My first one was a Olympus Camedia (2MP) (as digital SLR's where far to expensive in those days) and made a large amount of photos. The hobby was found back, escpecially because of the fact that there was no developing time any more, and that was my issue in the past; I am far to inpatient to wait for the results, and I used to bring my films with only 15 photographs to the 2 hours services, which made the hobby quite expensive. In 2004 I bought the Canon 300D, as this was the first affordable digital SLR, with the standard kitlens. After a while I also bought a Sigma 55-200 mm and a battery-grip. I made some 10.000 photo's within 3 years, but a few weeks ago it broke down. Still Canon-minded (although I think the Nikon's are a tiny bit better) I bought the Canon 400D, a battery grip and a Canon EF24-105mm F4L IS USM, which is supposed to be a professional lens. I couldn't test it until now due to bad weather and illness, but there are a lot of events the upcoming months, so enough chances to test it in the near future

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 14:24..
Old 05-03-2007, 12:08
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Roger, that is a great lens you have! wow!

I am still waiting for the right camera to come out. For years i have used Minolta; i started with an analog 500Si, than a 800 Si, which i still use in the children's-sportsphotography of my company (!). The body is not so tiny, rather big and heeavy, but that's okay, because it is perfectly made for hands and fingers. My hands get tired if i must carry a 400d in one hand for an hour. It has no good 'grip'.
As i have bought several Minolta mounted lenses over the years, like the Apo macro 70-300, a 2.8 Sigma 24-70, and a 2.8-4.5 28-200, it would hurt me, if i should make the step to another brand. . Otherwise I didn't like the Konica Minolta 5d, and 7D (not good enough), so i wait and wait and wait.... , and was glad with sony to take over the business, and seriously thought about the alpha 100, but again; it is too tiny/light, it is not a professional camera. Now i'm am hoping for an alpha 10 or 200 (we don't know what the model will be named of) that HAS to come out on the PMA in march. Sony HAS to come with a model, on top of the alpha 100, or otherwise has to leave the business....

All this time; i used a casio Z3; very good! with no waiting time. But as i couldn't wait any longer, i recently bought a Nikon D40, just for the time being. Its a kit, the lens is sj#t, but it is just for the time being.

So, still waiting for the alpha 200.....<sigh> :-( (i like the antishake system which is IN the body, not in the lens!)

Of course i have to buy at least one extra lens than, like a 17 -55

Last edited by nofear02; 05-03-2007 at 12:12..
Old 05-03-2007, 12:50
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Back in 2002 I had a Canon Poweshot A100. After using it for a while I got myself a Nikon Coolpix 2100. I used the Nikon till 2005 when I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 5400. The 5400 was a good camera, but too slow and the battery of the 5400 ran out just after 2 hours or so.

As I was interested in making paningshots I had to get a NIKON SLR. So I decided to get the Nikon D70S kit. Though the body is excellent, the lenses are not that good.

I have this Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G which I use on the circuit and a Nikon Nikkor 1: 3.3-5.6G as a standard lens.

I'm planning to use a polarfilter on my telelens, but I heard that you will lose 2 stops by that? Can anyone confirm this
Old 05-03-2007, 13:21
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

I can confirm, I used it while doing panning shots of Rally cars last week (1/250. F 6,3. 170 mm)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rally for kids 208 aan 1280.jpg (661.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-03-2007, 23:05
F1 veteran
Commissioner

In 2004 I bought my first digital camera, a Fuji S5500. This was a nice camera, but in 2006 I was looking for a digital SLR and a camera that was a bit faster than the Fuji S5500. So I decided to buy a new camera, the Nikon D50.
At the moment I have also a Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED with a polarfilter and a Nikkor 70-210mm f/4-5.6D lens
Old 11-03-2007, 19:24
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Just ordered a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor. Will pick it up on monday or so

Just purchased a B&W polarfilter for the new lens and trying to sell my old 70-300mm. Till now I have one offer Seems like I really can get rid of the old lens

Last edited by nofear02; 11-03-2007 at 20:39..
Old 12-03-2007, 09:05
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

I did some test shots yesterday, finally the wheater was good enough to try some new stuff. I made hundreds of pics, to find out that what I had in mind didn't work, so it's time to think of other solutions and to buy a new filter which allows a longer exposure in sunny conditions.

Two of my test shots of today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1107 by pterps 239 aan 1280.jpg (536.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1107 by pterps 072 aan 1280.jpg (635.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-03-2007, 11:21
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

So, in your opinion, these 2 pictures are failed??? What is wrong with it? I think they are rather nice Peter
Old 12-03-2007, 11:37
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear02 View Post
So, in your opinion, these 2 pictures are failed??? What is wrong with it? I think they are rather nice Peter!
No these are okay, but I made 200 pics and only a few of them are okay

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 14:24..
Old 12-03-2007, 14:47
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Picked up my lens today and made some test shots. I'm very satisfied with this and I think 2007 will be a great year with this lens in my hand

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vaardigheid1.JPG (438.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg vaardigheid4.JPG (448.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vaardigheid5.JPG (411.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vaardigheid6.JPG (495.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 14:25..
Old 12-03-2007, 18:28
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumacher View Post
Picked up my lens today and made some test shots. I'm very satisfied with this and I think 2007 will be a great year with this lens in my hand
Congratulations Vu, the first pics look very promising! Keep them comming
Old 12-03-2007, 18:48
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumacher View Post
Vu, what a great new toy you have there! Nice shot of the cubic-houses in R'dam! Wauw. We are gonna have a lot of fun from your lens as wel..
Old 17-03-2007, 23:59
Formula Junior

Guys,

I'm in need of your help.

My Canon 300 (not a D version) is broke. So I need a new camera. I now have to make the switch to a digital one. My girlfriend wants to use it aswell.

She would prefer a pocket-camera. I'm in doubt because it's much more practical. It's a bit of a hassle to take a big camera like the Canon 300 around.

But then there's quality. Beneath is a picture of my audi shot with a canon IXUS (4 MegaP) and a picture made by Vu, I have no trouble picking the best one.

Is there anything for sale that's compact and you would settle for or should I get a proper camera?

I don't want to spent more than 1 k euro.

Gij
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 4 voor r.jpg (146.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image31.JPG (91.6 KB, 224 views)
Old 18-03-2007, 01:26
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Gijs, I'm in shock! First of all; this was your first post on this site . I didn't expect that yet, but it's very nice! Second; I didn't know you had a Canon SLR 300?! So you know a little bit about photography; you never told us! Third; you immediately give us an impossible-to-answer-question! . I mean; what is top priority, must it fit in a ladies handbag; than you only can take a compact-camera. You have them up to 10mp nowadays; they cost under 300 euro. But you cannot compare that to a dslr of 10mp of 800 euro's. Because the most of the quality of a picture is done by the lens. And the lens of a dslr is totally different than the tiny lens of a compact camera. And if it MUST fit in the handbag of your girlfriend, than there just is no choice. But, don't think a dslr is very heavy; it is lighter than an analog slr camera. And you have very tiny dslr's nowadays, which a lot of woman find attractive. Not thát big, and rather light, easy to handle, and comfortably in use, because they have normal buttons, and not buttons which you almost have to operate whith your nails. But at the other hand; will you ever use different/changeable lenses? Or is just one lens enough? Than you have the slr-lookalikes; they look like a slr, are even smaller, but don't have a mount/changeable lens, but still have a lens which zooms from 28 till 300mm. And they are 10mp as well, and cost 450 euro. As you and your girlfriend want to use it both, you just have to go to a store, and get one in your hands, which is working; start with a tiny dslr like the D40 from nikon, you and your girlfriend has to make some pictures, and if she thinks; oh this is easy! and she is willing to wear it in a separate purse, than that's a start. Because i don't think the quality of the picture is an issue here in your case, it is more the convenience of the device. Like how much does is weight, how big/small is it, are the buttons nice, is the menu easy/logic, and.. how does it look. So for instance; if she thinks a D40 is nice, beautifull, etc, (it is only 475 grams!) than you have a nice camera of 6 mp for only 539 euro's. But of course a 10mp Sony Alfa 100 of 899,- euro with a better lens and anti-shake (camera of the year/ eisa award), is even much better. And it is just a little bit bigger and heavier (785 grams). I say; go to a store with your girlfriend, get one in your hands, try it, and than, don't decide but just think about it, talk it over between the two of you, and get yourself a direction of what kind of camera you want.
If you would have posted this question 24 hours earlier, i would have taken the D40 with me to show it to you, yesterday. But you can pick it up if you want and show it to her and play with it, if you want. It is a camera which my trainees use on the startersday, so no problem at all if you just want to have a good look and try it at home quietly/on your own, and not in a busy store.
Pterps, Vu and Roger, have real dslr's. Gai and Cor i think have lookalikes (fixed lens) and make nice pictures as well. Pocketcameras, even of 10 mp, will never be the same. The lens is to small. But they are easy to take with you in a bag.
And.. don't forget; do you even want to take pictures inhouse of a group, a person or whatever, for which you need a good flash? Or is that not necessary?
What do you think of it guys
Old 18-03-2007, 09:06
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

I agree with you Robert, it really depends on things like size, handling and how you are gonna make use of it.
My camera is not practical during holidays for example, I can't take it with me during wintersports, we use my old compact camera there. When we are walking in a big city I am always wearing this heavy bag and I hold it tight because I am affraid that someone is gonna steal it (however it is insured).
How much time would you like to take for making pictures. With a point and shoot camera, you get a nice average picture. With a DSLR you need to take your time, maybe change your lens, get settings right and that may result in a fabulous picture.
It's best to hold some camera's in the shop and discuss how you are gonna make use of it and than decide wich one serves you best.

Succes, and don't hesitate to ask for more information on specific camera's
Old 18-03-2007, 16:33
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Gijs,

I have seen photo's of someone who has a Sony DSC-R1. It's what Robert refers to as a lookalike-SLR (is that correct Robert?)I think the quality of this camera is very well when you keep in mind that this a not a digital SLR.

Just take a look at the photo's I have attached in this post. I do have to mention that the photgrapher uses a polarizing filter in these shots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CarreraGT.jpg (404.4 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Aston-Martin-DB7-Volante.jpg (343.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg Vanquish.jpg (350.9 KB, 202 views)
Old 18-03-2007, 20:22
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Yes Fu, the look of that dscR1 is like the lookalikes I ment, but in this case, it is not a fair comparision, because this sony has a big lens too, like a dslr, but only 'fixed' (not chageable), and is its a very good lens; a Zeiss 2.8-4.8, therefor this model costs also 800,- euro's, so the same as a dslr. It has a very good cmos as wel, is 10 mp, and has the posibility to take pictures in raw. That is why those pictures you uploaded where so good. A normal lookalike costs 400 - 500 euro's. That's a big diffference. And this sony weighs 995 grams

Last edited by nofear02; 19-03-2007 at 01:53..
Old 24-03-2007, 17:11
Karting
Not Subscribed

Default Supe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterps View Post
I can confirm, I used it while doing panning shots of Rally cars last week (1/250. F 6,3. 170 mm):
Super shot!

Eri