- 160mm, 1/250, F9
- 200mm, 1/250, F9
- 135mm, 1/250, F9
- 300mm!, 1/250, F9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear02 View Post
5. 105mm, 1/125, F13, Iso 100
6. 105mm, 1/125, F18, Iso 100, -0,7
You had some 'problems' with your AS at photo 6 and 8 I see. It's visibible at the crash barrier. You can avoid this by turning off AS (doh) or wait till the little dots on the right of your viewfinder are low.

Quote:
Nope!
Pleeeeaaassseee

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 15:14..
Old 21-05-2007, 09:11
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
As far as my own camerawork concerns; I'm not that satisfied. I know, it was a new camera, I had it only a few hours, and it was my first day photographing fast cars on a circuit with a tele, but this is totally different than my usual work. But; therefore extra fun too!
Wow! If these are your first pictures photographing fast cars you are definitely on the right track!!! NICE!!! Do you see the difference between pictures 1, 2 and 3, 4. 1 and 2 are much more dynamic. 3 and 4 are sharp as a knife, but won't exactly tell the story of the moment. That's what the whole day was about.

I like the Lotus picture a lot, the pictures I took of that car are almost every time overexposed (=to light).

I will post my pictures in the coming days and try to explain what I tried to accomplish at the moment. Remember the pictures are not perfect, almost all pictures were made experimenting different camera settings and techniques. We have to put it in real practise in the future
Old 21-05-2007, 12:04
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Robert, your photo's look good. Bear in mind that this was the first time you used your camera for such photography. It takes a while before you get along with it....and the results will satisfy you
Old 21-05-2007, 12:24
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Alfa's #
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (418.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (402.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image3.JPG (424.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image4.JPG (455.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image5.JPG (387.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 12:27
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Alfa's #
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image6.JPG (416.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image7.JPG (395.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image8.JPG (410.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image9.JPG (439.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image10.JPG (367.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 12:29
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Alfa's #
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image11.JPG (348.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image12.JPG (385.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image13.JPG (385.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image14.JPG (363.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image15.JPG (372.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 12:47
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Other cars #
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (434.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (475.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image3.JPG (564.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image4.JPG (403.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image5.JPG (413.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 12:48
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Other cars #
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image6.JPG (513.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image7.JPG (440.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image8.JPG (431.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image9.JPG (542.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image10.JPG (403.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 12:52
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Other cars #
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image11.JPG (502.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image12.JPG (441.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image13.JPG (464.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image14.JPG (496.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image15.JPG (545.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 14:26
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
You had some 'problems' with your AS at photo 6 and 8 I see. It's visibible at the crash barrier. You can avoid this by turning off AS (doh) or wait till the little dots on the right of your viewfinder are low.
Robin; you are an idiot : I suppose you have NEVER been on a race track? : sometimes there is an opening in the guardrail, to let quads or other vehicles on the track; you can see the sandpath in front of it .

(it was a pity you couln't join us my friend!; maybe next time/next year?!)

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 15:14..
Old 21-05-2007, 14:58
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanti70 View Post
Wow! If these are your first pictures photographing fast cars you are definitely on the right track!!! NICE!!! Do you see the difference between pictures 1, 2 and 3, 4. 1 and 2 are much more dynamic. 3 and 4 are sharp as a knife, but won't exactly tell the story of the moment. That's what the whole day was about.
Bob, real honest: I've never done this before, it was the first time I ever did something this. Certainly not on a race track; 4 april fcn- drive-course was for the first time in yeeeears that I even was on a circuit, and I even never done it on a public road (i've just only been working the last decade it seems ). So, for the very first time, okay, it certainly wasn't too bad. But, to be honoust, you know I deleted quite some pics immediately.

For the different techniques; yes I just wanted to try out everything; so I took pics with shorter shutter-time as well, like the Renault Alpines (on 200mm+). Wanted to have done it with even faster times, but that wasn't too necessary, I know you get a frozen picture than. It was just: trying, what does this camera do, all by itself, and afterwards, with shorter speeds (manually). And of course; just following a car with your camera with a heavy telelens, it's strange when you have never done that before, but it was fun!

There was one other thing too that I found very un-handy; I wore my glasses instead of lenses. That's a big dis-advantage! Your eye has to be allmost against the eye-shell to see it good (wysiwyg), certainly with 200mm+ photo's from fast moving cars! I sometimes made pictures just on a slight guess, on 'feeling', nót: real look . Putting that in mind also, maybe I shouldn't be to harsh for myself .

But next time; I would like to play a bit with taking pics with manual focus. Can't you focus on the first car, and than take the second car, if it is on the same place?? Vu, bob, niels; can you tell me something about that?

What a pity we couldn't practise this on Ferrari's!
Old 21-05-2007, 15:00
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

And Vu; your pics of the cars on the parking are smashing; you seem to know your lens now very well! Compliments
Old 21-05-2007, 18:41
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Great pics guys, it must have been a great day together. I hope to follow one of Frits his clinnics in future. Keep the pics comming
Old 21-05-2007, 20:13
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Bob, real honest: I've never done this before, it was the first time I ever did something this. Certainly not on a race track; 4 april fcn- drive-course was for the first time in yeeeears that I even was on a circuit, and I even never done it on a public road (i've just only been working the last decade it seems ). So, for the very first time, okay, it certainly wasn't too bad. But, to be honoust, you know I deleted quite some pics immediately.
FWIW: I only have about 40% usable pictures from yesterday. The rest is crap...

Quote:
For the different techniques; yes I just wanted to try out everything; so I took pics with shorter shutter-time as well, like the Renault Alpines (on 200mm+). Wanted to have done it with even faster times, but that wasn't too necessary, I know you get a frozen picture than. It was just: trying, what does this camera do, all by itself, and afterwards, with shorter speeds (manually). And of course; just following a car with your camera with a heavy telelens, it's strange when you have never done that before, but it was fun!
I hope you don't think I was critizing these pictures. I was just mentioning the difference between the different shutterspeeds. This was one of the remarks Frits made about making more exciting pictures. I will show you some examples with different shutterspeeds later too. I have some shots where the cars are parked on the Hunzerug, when in fact they are at full accelaration. The picture taken with shutterspeed 1/800 doesn't tell the story.

Quote:
There was one other thing too that I found very un-handy; I wore my glasses instead of lenses. That's a big dis-advantage! Your eye has to be allmost against the eye-shell to see it good (wysiwyg), certainly with 200mm+ photo's from fast moving cars! I sometimes made pictures just on a slight guess, on 'feeling', nót: real look . Putting that in mind also, maybe I shouldn't be to harsh for myself .
When we were standing beside the stands I noticed you were wearing your glasses and I was wondering how it would be to take pictures when you wear glasses. I never wear my sunglasses when I take pictures.

Quote:
But next time; I would like to play a bit with taking pics with manual focus. Can't you focus on the first car, and than take the second car, if it is on the same place?? Vu, bob, niels; can you tell me something about that?
The best advise is to focus manually at a certain point, follow the car and take the picture at the moment you hit the point where you focussed on. I have some examples with cars moving away from the camera. Auto focus almost never works in this situation.

Quote:
What a pity we couldn't practise this on Ferrari's! .
Exactly! Better luck next time and I am positive this time will come...

Bo
Old 21-05-2007, 21:12
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Quote:
*- FWIW: I only have about 40% usable pictures from yesterday. The rest is crap...

**- I hope you don't think I was critizing these pictures. I was just mentioning the difference between the different shutterspeeds. This was one of the remarks Frits made about making more exciting pictures. I will show you some examples with different shutterspeeds later too. I have some shots where the cars are parked on the Hunzerug, when in fact they are at full accelaration. The picture taken with shutterspeed 1/800 doesn't tell the story.

***- When we were standing beside the stands I noticed you were wearing your glasses and I was wondering how it would be to take pictures when you wear glasses. I never wear my sunglasses when I take pictures.

****- The best advise is to focus manually at a certain point, follow the car and take the picture at the moment you hit the point where you focussed on. I have some examples with cars moving away from the camera. Auto focus almost never works in this situation.

***** - Exactly! Better luck next time and I am positive this time will come...

Bob
* oooooooooooohw!:.....than I don't have to worry anymore

** ohw but that's okay Bob! You're the man with the race-photographing-experience. For me it was totally new. But if you could find the time to upload some of your work with the data and some explanation that belongs to it, that would be great! And yeah; I was just experimenting with it, and that was great fun! I'm glad I let me send the Alpha. I think I'm gonna buy it... .

*** yeah the glasses that was really stupid. I thought about it but it was very early for me when I got up, and I didn't want to put them in. And I thought; i'm only gonna play, it's leisure, not work, so relax. But when you are there, on the circuit, seeing the cars, hearing them, smelling them, see the spectators and see you three photographers work, than suddenly you get a little...... *&^% ! let's say; enthousiastic ! And than I realized; that was stupid. Because you miss 3 or 4 mm in your viewfinder! So how could you aime good and centre the cars in the middle? You can't. Fortunately my glasses are rather flexible.. . And... I took quite a few pics with both eyes open; so I could see him comming and follow the car anyway . Stupid, i know now... That is, i didn't had the intention to perform, just playing, but i got grabbed by the racing-photography-virus! (I have a lot of virusses in my body the last year.... )

**** But if there is not a car on the track, would it be enough to focus on a certain point on the asphalt? Interesting. I missed the continu auto-focus from my analog camera; i have to read the book of the alpha to look it up.

***** absolutely! i'm just gonna look for it
Old 21-05-2007, 21:44
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
**** But if there is not a car on the track, would it be enough to focus on a certain point on the asphalt? Interesting. I missed the continu auto-focus from my analog camera; i have to read the book of the alpha to look it up.
This one is taken using manual focussing on the track (without any cars around). I picked the car up when it left the Tarzan corner, followed it and shot it when it was at the prefocused point. Shutterspeed 1/160, aperture F/14, 190mm around 30-40 meters distance (I think). With the continu auto-focus this picture is unsharp almost 75% of the tries, even with servo auto-focus (this keeps focussing on moving objects)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4100.jpg (145.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 21:48
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
The best advise is to focus manually at a certain point, follow the car and take the picture at the moment you hit the point where you focussed on. I have some examples with cars moving away from the camera. Auto focus almost never works in this situation.
What do you exactly mean with "a car moving away from the camera"?

a: like the Testa Rossa
b: like the 456
c: none of your photo's illustrate this

Both shots which are attached in this message were made with autofocus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foto1.JPG (269.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg foto2.JPG (252.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 21:54
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

or something more like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foto11.JPG (256.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 22:04
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Default my turn ;

OK, some of my attempts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 904.JPG (158.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 944.JPG (194.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg ALFA.JPG (154.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg ALPINE.JPG (176.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg BLURRY.JPG (125.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 21-05-2007, 22:05
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

and some mor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw.JPG (189.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg FRANKIE.JPG (171.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg GECONCENTREERD.JPG (172.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg GEPEUPEL.JPG (178.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg GROEN.JPG (160.8 KB, 25 views)