Ferrari Club Andalucia  

Go Back   F-Chat.eu > Various > Car Photography

Old 12-04-2007, 23:31
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Default HDR (High Dynamic Range

A lot of photographers are experimenting with the HDR Technique including me and Roger_L.

Short explanation of the HDR technique:

Take 3 picture's which are exactly the same except for the shutter speed. Take 1 normal picture, 1 over-exposed picture and 1 under-exposed picture (1 to 2 stops). Use a programm like photomatix to convert these picture to a HDR image. What results is a picture with great lightning and detailing.

To give an example:

The first picture shows the picture with standard camera settings.
The second picture shows the picture wich is produced out of 3 diffrent pictures.

Highres HDR:http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/9...aan1600hr5.jpg

Show us your results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1507 by Pterps 015 HDR aan 1280.jpg (633.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HDR Amerongen3 aan 1280.jpg (759.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 13-04-2007, 00:30
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Is it that simple .......... I will give it a try some day.

Peter, can you give me information abt your settings (EXIF's) of the 3 shots you have made
Old 13-04-2007, 08:01
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Vu these are the settings:

Standard: 1/250 second, f10
Over exposed: 1/500, f14
Under exposed: 1/125, f7.
Old 13-04-2007, 08:42
Formula 3
Gold Subscribed

VU, Canon-camera's have an automatic function for that where you can define how many stops plus and minus you want (AEB). After pressing the releasebutton 3 photos are taken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdr1.JPG (52.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg hdr2.JPG (30.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg hdr3.JPG (50.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg hdr.JPG (42.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 13-04-2007, 08:49
F1 world champion
Site-Owner

Guys; this is fantastic! And Peter; many thnx for opening this thread and sharing it with us. What a nice hobby photography can be! And what a lot is all possible in this digital era! A camera and a computer; nice toys!

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 14:34..
Old 13-04-2007, 09:23
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Peter, Roger thanks for your replies!
This is a very interesting technique....definitely worth trying.

I am also experimentating with time-lapse atm. Does someone here on the board has experience with this?

Regards,

V
Old 13-04-2007, 09:58
ForumMaster

This is a very cool technique. But you have to be carefull, sometimes you see HDR pictures which are way overdone. But I think the examples above could have been a little bit more extreme.

When you use this technique to create a HDR picture (yes, there are other methods) you get the best result when using a tripod. The photos has to be exactly the same cropping. Some applications can correct this, but you'll always loose some sharpness. With a digital SLR (which can produce raw files) you ave another option: you can take multiple exposures out of one photo with a raw convertor. No more sharpness problems, but very nice results are possible!

A very nice tutorial about this technique is http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/hdr.shtml. He also shows that to get even better results you can use more than three photos.

Roger: most SLR camera's have this feature (even analog), but some can only take 1-stop-steps (what a word ) others can do more ranges. HDR is most fun with a little bit bigger steps.

Some nice HDR pictures by other photographers:

I even found a car, it's by a friend of mine

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 14:35..
Old 14-04-2007, 00:47
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Hi all....

I found this picture of this BMW from another forum. Can you tell me whether this photographer used the HDR-technique or not .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img024effw6cllollpmynbjst6.jpg (218.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 14-04-2007, 07:55
Formula 3
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumacher View Post
Hi all....

I found this picture of this BMW from another forum. Can you tell me whether this photographer used the HDR-technique or not .....?
It looks more like a Photoshop in 'paint'-modus..
Old 14-04-2007, 08:15
ForumMaster

Quote:
Hi all....

I found this picture of this BMW from another forum. Can you tell me whether this photographer used the HDR-technique or not .....?
I'm not sure, he has done a lot with the colors, but it is not needed to be HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_L View Post
It looks more like a Photoshop in 'paint'-modus...
With some HDR techniques you can get very paint-like colors, so that's not an excuse

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 14:35..
Old 14-04-2007, 08:42
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
Hi all....

I dont think so, I guess he selected some parts of this picture and worked on several layers and than compressed it to one picture again. There are no colors in the background and the diffrence in brightness between the car and the tree behind it are to big for a HDR IMO
Old 14-04-2007, 08:55
ForumMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterps View Post
I dont think so, I guess he selected some parts of this picture and worked on several layers and than compressed it to one picture again. There are no colors in the background and the diffrence in brightness between the car and the tree behind it are to big for a HDR IMO.
Not nessesarily, it depends on what difference in stops you use how big the brightness difference is. But I think he has done some local color corrections too
Old 14-04-2007, 09:22
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Well the photo we are talking abt was entered in an online photo competition. I have seen many other photo's of this guy and it's always stunning. He used the following equipment for the BMW-shot: Canon EOS 20D / Tamron SP 28-75 f/2.8 XR DI LD

The attached photo here is also one of his artworks.....amazing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture1.JPG (269.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 14-04-2007, 13:58
ForumMaster

Quote:
Well the photo we are talking abt was entered in an online photo competition. I have seen many other photo's of this guy and it's always stunning. He used the following equipment for the BMW-shot: Canon EOS 20D / Tamron SP 28-75 f/2.8 XR DI LD

The attached photo here is also one of his artworks.....amazing.
Nice photo! And a nice lens, I have the same for A-Mount (Minolta/Sony)

Last edited by Johannus; 11-07-2008 at 14:36..
Old 19-06-2007, 01:25
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Lately I have been trying things out with my camera, when I discovered a function which is called "bracketing". Do you guys use this function to make 3 shots with different shutterspeeds? and use the resulting photo's for HDR
Old 19-06-2007, 14:58
F1 rookie
Gold Subscribed

bracketing is an easy way to make shots that can be used for HDR. I don't exactly know how nikons work, but with canon you can preset your exposure compensation.
I have used this feature at a wedding party where the shot had to be right and difficult lighting (and a bride and groom who were wearing white and black, very, very difficult to meter correctly).
I bracketed for neutral, +1 stop, -1 stop (at shutter speed). set the camera to continous, composed the shot and focussed, held the shutter and the camera made 3 shots automaticcaly with my preset exposure correction.

So bracketing is a fast way to make 3 pictures with different exposures. It has the same effect as manual setting of exp compensation. And therefore it is perfect for HDR

Old 19-06-2007, 16:03
Formula Junior
Gold Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikderaaf View Post
bracketing is an easy way to make shots that can be used for HDR. I don't exactly know how nikons work, but with canon you can preset your exposure compensation.
I have used this feature at a wedding party where the shot had to be right and difficult lighting (and a bride and groom who were wearing white and black, very, very difficult to meter correctly).
I bracketed for neutral, +1 stop, -1 stop (at shutter speed). set the camera to continous, composed the shot and focussed, held the shutter and the camera made 3 shots automaticcaly with my preset exposure correction.

So bracketing is a fast way to make 3 pictures with different exposures. It has the same effect as manual setting of exp compensation. And therefore it is perfect for HDR
And how was the result of this all? Did it work out well? Do you have some examples Erik, of HDR photo's you made yourself
Old 19-06-2007, 18:10
F1 rookie
Gold Subscribed

I don't have any HDR pictures here, that's because i'm often too lazy to carry my tripod with me without a tripod it is almost impossible to take HDR.

I have used the bracket function sometimes when lighting is extremely difficult, like my example of black and white clothing together. Or in badly-lit ereas. I make 3 pics with different lighting and choose the best later (i can make little adjustments later, thanks to RAW shooting)

there is a very nice article on HRD on the site from traumflieger.de, if you understand the german language, there are some very interesting articles about photography on that site

link to HDR section http://traumflieger.de/desktop/DRI/dri_tool.php

Old 05-01-2011, 09:58
Karting
Not Subscribed

tried HDR for the first time..